Sunday, November 8, 2009

Devandra Banhart - What We Will Be

Hold on to your freaky-folk socks, ladies and lads. Devendra Banhart's (MySpace) got a new album out. Jaser's and Co. got to check it out during a gorgeous indian summer hillbilly sesh yesterday.

Y'all may remember a little doodle I put up a bit earlier about Banhart's side project, Megapuss. Listen close, I'm sure some of the melodies he was working out in "Duck People" have worked their way in to several parts in What We Will Be.

Maybe not. In any case, watch out for number 5. That's when the magic starts. Enjoy.


5 comments:

  1. Many thanks to Jase for lagging on this one. Really makes me look like I've got my ear to the ground :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, "Maria Lionza" is the album fave right now. May want to check that one out first, if you're skeptical (Scott). It finishes strong, so you'll want to make sure you listen to the very end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well mr rusticle, I am slightly offened by you calling me out like that. I would like to say that I have listened to it all the way through, and I give it a 7.9. My reasoning - I love love love the way he does that thingy with his voice, might have one of the most beautiful voices out there. On to the -2.1, I think the album might be a bit over produced, ie too much going on musically in the background. For instance, in the song rats, great great song, but it gets a bit busy for me about half way through. Granted, I may not have been in the right mind set (if you know what I mean), so I will try again. Anyway, I DO really like it, just a bit over produced, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! No worries Scott. I only picked on you so that I could talk about it more. State of mind may be key. For me, it was man, moment and melody. Location, location and whatever that third one is.

    ReplyDelete