Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss


Robert Plant and Alison Krauss have a CD in stores, titled "Raising Sand." Grilling out one night a couple weeks ago Mien Vilif tried to introduce me to the disc.

He tells me, "Dude, you have to check this out. It's groundbreaking."

Groundbreaking? I'll be the first to admit that most if not all of the time the mere fact that a music reco comes from JMac's direction gives it near instant credibility. Aha Shake and Vetiver are just a couple of the countless examples. And the very mention of Robert Plant...




...well, the music speaks for itself. And I suppose Alison Krauss is no slouch either.



The album has just won a Grammy for Album of the Year in 2009. Shortly thereafter, I won a Grammy for Understatement of the Year when I said, "I'm anxious to check it out."

But hell. As far as first listens go, the album started pretty weak for me. Technically speaking, everything seemed spot on. Even to my untrained ear, I could tell that I was listening to a couple of masters at work. But groundbreaking? Really? At first listen, they seemed just about as groundbreaking as country rock and protest band, Mason Proffit...



"Voice of Change" was recorded in 1969. Yea, groundbreaking like Mason Proffit and a dash of these guys...




And we know how that turned out. At first, I was a little disappointed. At first, at first, at first...

But after a while (yea, you knew that was coming), I put it in my car. I promised Jason that I'd give the disc the ol' college try and if I'm going to bond to a piece of music, it'll certainly happen in the car. I've turned the disc over a few times now and I've picked out a couple of real gems. Feast your ears on the following, Shanty Folk.



With "Nothin," any expectations raised by the mere mention of Robert Plant have been met. Period. Promise small, deliver big. I guess "Nothin" is about as small a promise as you can make (god dammit, I really hope the editors can cut the cheese out of that one) (ha! cut the cheese).



If you liked anything from O' Brother, Where Art Thou?, you'll like "Your Long Journey." Step back in time, friends. They bring a real relic back to life. And artfully so. "Through the Morning, Through the Night" follows along those same lines, even if it is kinda sappy.



"Please Read The Letter" is easily my favorite song on the album so far. Chances are it's going to stick. When I'm walking around outside one morning, this will be the song that pops into my head. Friggin' love it.

I still don't know if I'd call the disc groundbreaking. But there is something to be said on its behalf. I just wish I had the technical chops to say it. Like I said before, the talent in the disc is clear on the one hand but very understated on the other. Definitely leans closer to the Krauss side of the spectrum, but I'm not complaining (even if lamenting just a little). I've tried to pick out the hooks on the album. As for the rest, give it the ol' college try. It should pay off.


Just try to ignore the Family Guy comparison, even if for only a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment