Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Yea, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE, THE "EVIL URGES" ISSUE:




Scott "The Devil" (Jun 10, 9:12 am): The new MMJ is quite the disappointment! Holy shit, I am not impressed at all. Number three is just annoying really. What do you guys think?


Paul (10:12 am):  haven't heard it yet


Paul (10:52 am):  That's it I am taking down Jim's picture


Rusty (11:14 am):  now hold up there fellas.  i haven't heard it yet, but i've got it on
my itunes and i plan on listening today.  are we talking about another
"z" type situation?  remember, that one turned out to be awesome, even
though it rubbed me weird at first.  thing was, i couldn't stop
listening, and eventually i came around.


Munthun (11:31 am):  That song sounds better today than it did yesterday.  I still haven't made up my mind about it however.  There are some great tracks on there, I don't think we should kick it to the curb just yet


Scott (11:42 am):  well, i hope you are right, if not, i will spend my money on the fleet foxes disc instead


Rusty (1:42 pm):  Fuck, MMJ really jumped on the 80's train.  So far first impressions.  Librarian redeems the album for me now.  Love that song.  The album has hooked some other claws in me.  But songs like Highly Suspicious pretty much suck for me right now.  Only more listening will tell.  We definitely have a "Z" type situation here.  I ended up loving Z.  My hopes are still high for Evil Urges


Rusty (Jun. 12, 11:18 am):  lright.  A couple days have gone by.  I've probably listened to the album in its entirety at least 20 times or so.  And I like it more, as a whole, each time I listen to it again.  There are some new songs that I love now, besides Librarian.  Take another couple looks at I'm Amazed.  Sit back and do something American while listening.  Light the grill, crack open a cold one, light some fireworks, spark a J, whatever it is.  I'll run it by a couple of my southern brethren for confirmation, but we may be reaching back to Tennessee Fire on this one. 

And let's not forget the range gentlemen.  Not only in the album itself, but when you place the album among the others you understand the steps that these boys take every single time they put out a new album.  It's a new MMJ, for christ's sakes.  But I still love 'em, and not because they keep delivering the same kind of songs.  Granted, even Evil Urges
 includes some time tested favorite themes.  But I love them because the songs they keep delivering, well, they deliver.

Wait for your moment with this one fellas.  It'll come. 


Munthun (11:29 am):  thank you rusty.  couldn't have said it better myself


Scott (3:27 pm):  what do you think about this review for the album..
 
There are few fiery guitar freakouts, folk-influenced melodies, soaring space-rock bridges, or psychedelic flourishes here; instead, the empty space is mostly filled with serviceable falsetto funk and glassy-eyed yacht-pop.
-Pitchfork
 
Pretty much hits the album right on


Rusty (4:37 pm):  what's your point?  they're branching out?  that they're not playing
the same old stuff?


Scott (Jun.13, 8:37 am):  you are correct. It was just like an opinion man.


Rusty (10:03 am):  you're just like an opinion, man.

what do you think of the new sigur ros?

3 comments:

  1. What the fuck is "glassy-eyed yacht-pop"?

    BTW: Can someone burn me Evil Urges? It grew on me as well, but it has since dropped from your rotations, so I don't hear it enough. That is my classic formula for music appreciation - initial resistance due constant, uninterrupted overplay from you guys, followed by a new-found appreciation acquired only after you find something else to play the fuck out of. I guess I don't appreciate it until its gone. Huh, I usually don't have epiphanies until the late afternoon . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much hits the nail right on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There does seem to be a fair amount of forced feeding at times, doesn't there?

    ReplyDelete