Sunday, April 19, 2009

Finally.

I love Wired.com. It's a definite "must read" early in the morning and especially on Sunday-Couchdays. For some reason or another, the folks at Wired just seem to get it, whatever "it" may be at the time. Right now, "it" is digital music. A recent blog post, "Why File Sharing Will Save Hollywood, Music," notes the recent Pirate Bay guilty verdict (Reuters story here) and comments that the move by content industries to charge and convict four dudes supplying peer to peer infrastructure is a shortsighted and probably a self-destructive one.

The entire post is pretty right on, though I'd love to hear the woder gallery weigh in on this one. For me, the meat-n-taters of the piece was its reference to Jim Griffin's keynote at Digital Music Forum East. If you had time to read either the keynote or the Wired blog, I'd read the keynote. Here's why (from the keynote transcript):

Music's greatest financial power is its ability to draw a crowd, not our ability to control its quantity and destiny with digital or analog friction. We should focus on its effect on the heart and soul.

Amen reverend! Alleluiah! Finally, someone has articulated what I think we all knew intuitively. With that, I leave you with 1,000 words to show you what I mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment